THE DRIVE BOWLING CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

AGENDA OF THE DRIVE BOWLING CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

TO BE HELD AT CLUBHOUSE ON THURSDAY 2nd MAY 2024 at 10:30

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND ATTENDEES

Apologies – Carol Rushton, Andrew Dixon

Attendees – Derek Budde, Jane cummings, Sue Newton, David Sandes, Marek Ireland, Kate Johns, Roger Johns, Steve Rayner, Kathy Dixon

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING

Agreed as a correct record.  SG to ask Chris to not put the minutes on the website until after the meeting has approved them.

MATTERS ARISING

The balcony doors are leaking and causing problems below, a firm is coming in next week to give a quote for new doors.  After discussion it was agreed that we need some advice regarding the maintenance of the balcony and the clubhouse in general

TREASURSER’S REPORT (David Sanders)

We currently have 22K in the current account and 63K in the savings account.  We have been selling off the garden land linked to the houses in the mews and have received or are in the process of receiving 18K from numbers 4 and 6, 15K from number 10, 18K from numbers 2/2A and 8.  This had been at no cost to The Drive.  The owner of house number 12 has not responded to any correspondence and owes money for the lease, all in hand.  The monies collected from the sale has been put into a savings account and will be used for future development work at the club

CLUB SUMMER CAPTAIN’S REPORT (Carol Rushton)

CR send in her report, as follows:

We had 2 fixtures against Southwick in late April - we won 75-66 at home but the away match was cancelled due to rain/saturated pitch.

I thought the Opening of the Green day went very well from all aspects and was a success for our sponsors to see.

Plenty of our bowlers are signing up for matches and I know that most are also using the website for info. Steve and I have arranged that he takes Captain's responsibility for a couple of matches - Sue is going to 'shadow' me for the Home V Preston match on Sunday 26/5/24 to get the general idea too.

CLUB WINTER FINAL CAPTAINS’ REPORT (David Sanders)

DS reported that we won out match against Hollingbury.  The Saturday League finished with joint winners of the Ireland Cup.

UPDATE ON FIXTURES (Jane Cummings)

No news.  It wa suggested that JC contact Hand Cross and Newhaven to play against them next year.

GENERAL UPDATE ON BAR/BUILDING/GARDEN WORKS (Derek Budde)

Fencing and benches – a quote for new fencing has been accepted and work starts on 17th June.  It was agreed that no matches or roll ups will be played during the day during that week, any County matches need to be notified that we have work going on.  Evening fixtures will not be affected.  SG will email everyone to say that Monday roll up is cancelled.  Regarding benches and tables for outside it was agreed to investigate various style and materials before purchasing replacements.  It was acknowledged that whilst recycled plastic material (from Earth Anchors Ltd) was not ideal members of the club struggle to look after the wooden furniture.

Meirion and the gardening – it was agreed that Meirion has done lots of work in the grounds but that now the season is starting it must stop for the moment, except for Sunday morning gardening group.  SG will email Meirion thanking him for all his work.

Spraying of the green – this was carried out by Josh at a cost of £175 for 1 to 2 metre edge, ditch and path spraying and the extra spraying of the south west corner.  It was agreed that SG will speak to Josh regarding spraying the whole green.

Club house – after much discussion about the condition of the clubhouse it was agreed to get someone in to give advice regarding the damp, to get a quote to replace the balcony doors, to look at the balcony for safety and improvement.  Afterwards a list of work to improve the clubhouse will be drawn up.

COUNTY MATTERS (Kate Johns and Roger Johns)

KJ reported: she attended the recent Executive meeting, at which there were 19 recommendations from BE for competitions during 2025.  The Ladies are at home in the Gladys Rowland to Preston on 9th June and away to Pagham in the Double Rink n 4th July.

RJ reported:  nothing to report other than the BHCC will not look after any bowling greens after this year and that we have to alter our Constitution (Rules) to say - ALL DISCIPLINARY ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN ACCORDANCE WITH BE REGULATION 9.  We will do this at the AGM in 2025.

LEAGUE MATTERS (David Sanders/Hove, Carol Rushton/BH+D Ladie’s, Derek Budde/BH+D Men’s, Steve Rayner/Nicholas Soames)

Hove (DS):  Last year’s finals are on Sunday, with semis, final and play offs being played at Hollingbury.

BH+D (CR):  CR has emailed all women members with info about the league. First match is not until Tuesday 4th June

BH+D (DB):  All in hand, starts in 2 weeks.

NS (SR):  Starts on 20th May, trouble getting ladies to bowl.

UPDATE ON SOCIAL EVENTS (Kathy Dixon)

All agreed that The Opening of the Summer Season was a success, thanks were given to KD and the team.

The next social event is the Roy Holm Cup, KD will liaise with Jenny regarding the fish and chips.  CR suggested that we draw the club draw during the social, all agreed.

KD reported that it has been suggested from members that a whist drive be held and also regular bridge sessions.  SG will email all members to get an idea of take up.

AOB

SG has signed the club up for the following events:

Big Bowls Weekend 24-27 May

Take Part 24 June – 7 July

Ageing Well Festival 27 September – 11 October

It was agreed that she would inform all organisations that the available sessions open to members of the public would be Monday afternoons and Sunday mornings.

KD said that she has a positive response to her asking people to organise the Monday roll up session.

DS reminded everyone that the Gladys Rowland money won still had not been spent, KJ will investigate water fountain and banner, SG will investigate bigger fridge.

MI reported that the club competitions were off to a good start  but that all members need to be encouraged to join in.

SR suggested that we start to ‘fine’ players £1 for wrong biases, which was agreed, with money going into the charity boxes on the bar.

DS suggested COPR training, SG will investigate what’s around.

TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The meeting closed at 12.25

The next meeting will be Thursday 6th June at 10:30 (bring a sandwich as Portslade are playing us at home in the afternoon)